Standing proudly at the top of William Brown Street on Commutation Row, is the fluted stone Wellington Monument. A 14 foot statue of Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington, cast from cannon guns captured at the battle of Waterloo, stands on top of an 81 foot column unveiled in 1863.
|Unveiling of the Wellington Monument,|
London Illustrated News
The column stands on a triangular site which was laid out in 1878, between William Brown Street, Islington and Commutation Row. Lime Street stretches off in front of the 500 foot frontage of St Georges Hall which stands next to the column.
|St Johns Church 1890|
Wellington looks down onto St Johns Gardens the site of the former St Johns Church and down William brown street with its historic buildings, the closes to Wellington being the County Sessions House, then The Walker Art Gallery and Liverpool's Picton Reading Rooms, Central and Hornby Library, and the Liverpool Museum.
The column has been used in a number of events over the years which included it being illuminated for Empire Day Celebrations in 1951 and and setting off pyrotechnics during the 08 Capital of Culture opening ceremony.
Over the years a few people have been lucky enough to be able to climb to the top of the column and take a few photographs, and below is a photograph of London Road taken in 1913.
One of our own authors and local historians Ged Fagan has been fortunate enough to make the ascent to the top and in July 2013 he recorded the views that we can see from Wellingtons perspective now, the photographs can be seen by clicking on the link below.