The north Liverpool suburb which borders Croxteth, Aintree and Kirkby, parts of Fazakerley lie in neighbouring Knowsley. A base for a Royal Ordnance Factories plant manufacturing weapons during World War II Fazakerley is now the home of Fazakerley Hospital, also known as Aintree University Hospital.
|Liverpool c 1930s Postcard - Fazakerley|
Harbreck House was in Bluebell Woods off Higher Lane, Fazakerley, the Estate was bought by Liverpool Council in 1898 and this later became the site Aintree Hospital. The house was used as an administration block and staff quarters for the Annexe until the 1950's.
|Doctors Houses at the Hospital|
The City Hospital Fazakerley was one of the hospitals built around Liverpool to cope with the ever growing need for the care of the poor, who had traditionally been sent to workhouses, and the control of diseases. Dr William Henry Duncan who practised in Rodney Street, but had taken on extra duties in the Liverpool Dispensary in Vauxhall Road, warned that fever would continue while living accommodation was dirty and lacking fresh air. Dr Duncan was appointed as the first Medical Officer of Health in England, and as a result of his intervention, in 1849 the General Board of Health ordered the removal of persons from rooms where diseases appeared. Temporary hospitals were set up often too late; some of the sick were taken to the Workhouse spreading the diseases further amongst a susceptible population.
|The kitchen block on this hospital from the late 19th century ©NMR B Skingle|
Over the coming years and various epidemics it became apparent, although unpopular, that isolation of patients was as important as the need for social change. Fifty years later, the City Hospital Fazakerley was one of the hospitals built around Liverpool to cope with the ever growing need for the care of the sick.
Fazakerley Hospital was used by the military during the First World War for the treatment of soldiers injured during fighting on the front. Some other Merseyside hospitals were used as satellite military hospitals to Fazakerley during this period. Troops at the hospital were visited by Queen Mary who visited Fazakerley Hospital to meet wounded and hospitalized soldiers receiving treatment for their injuries.
|Noel Cavasse VC and Bar|
The hospital has honoured World War One hero Captain Noel Chavasse by naming a ward after him. Liverpool’s specialist brain hospital The Walton Centre has named a new 29 bed ward, which is part of a wider multi-million pound hospital expansion, after the courageous Army doctor and opened it on Tuesday, February 26 2013 with a full military fanfare. The ward was officially opened by Major General Ewan Carmichael, Director General of the Army Medical Services.
Timeline of events
1898: Liverpool Corporation buys land from Harbreck family.
1901: Annexe of temporary buildings opens.
1906: Permanent building – City Hospital North, Fazakerley, for Infectious Diseases – opens.
1913: 1st Western Military Hospital opens.
1916: Queen Mary visits Fazakerley.
1920: Opening of Fazakerley Sanatorium for Tuberculosis.
1939-50: During World War II, patients evacuated from Royal Southern Hospital to the main hospital.
1940: Bomb damage.
1947: Main hospital changes its name to Fazakerley Infectious Hospital.
1948: Hospitals pass from city council to National Health Service.
1950: Fazakerley Sanatorium changes its name to Aintree Tuberculosis Hospital.
1965: Work begins on a large new general district hospital.
1968: Name changes to Fazakerley Hospital.
1969: Maternity unit opens.
1974: Fazakerley District General Hospital main site opens, incorporating Fazakerley and Aintree hospitals buildings.
1996: Walton Centre moves on to site.
1999: Name changes to University Hospital Aintree to reflect close links with Liverpool University.
2006: Becomes Aintree University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Harbreck House, has a history of its own. Sadly, it has now gone, what remains however is, Bluebell Woods which shows some evidence of the demolished building, There are also obvious signs of a previous residential garden, including a large monkey puzzle tree.
Aintree University Hospital is now a large teaching hospital providing Accident & Emergency services and a wide range of acute and non-acute specialties.
The hospital serves a population of around 330,000 in North Liverpool. South Sefton and Kirkby. As a teaching hospital, provides a range of acute and non-acute specialties, the hospital works in partnership with other organisations to provide community-based and specialist services with a world-class reputation to a population of 1.5m residents across the North West.
Robert F Edwards