Lime Street, Liverpool , St.George's Hall to the left, Great North Western Hotel to the right, Walker Art Gallery and Sessions House in the background. Statues of Prince Albert, Disraeli, Queen Victoria and Wellington's Column in the middle ground.
|Queen Victoria, Liverpool. Prince Albert. Thomas Thornycroft (1814-1885)|
C. B. Birch's Disraeli
Statue of Queen Victoria, St George's Plateau, LiverpoolPin It
For periods during the 19th century the wealth of Liverpool exceeded that of London itself, and Liverpool's Custom House was the single largest contributor to the British Exchequer. Liverpool's status can be judged from the fact that it was the only British city ever to have its own Whitehall office.
|Liverpool Customs House|
The first United States consul anywhere in the world, was in Paradise Street in Liverpool James Maury, was appointed to Liverpool in 1790, and remained in office for 39 years. The building remains to this day with its American Eagle still proudly featured.
|Former USA Consul Building in Paradise Street|
As early as 1851 the city was described as "the New York of Europe" and its buildings, constructed on a heroic, even megalomaniacal scale stand witness to the supreme confidence and ambition of the city at the turn of the 20th century. Liverpool was also the site of the UK's first provincial airport, operating from 1930.
Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March No.1, often seen as Britain's Imperial anthem, was dedicated by the composer to the Liverpool Orchestral Society and had its premiere in the city in October 1901.