TITHEBARN STREET. In 1523 Sir William Molyneux erected a tithe barn to collect produce, received as tithes in Liverpool and Kirkdale..The actual site of the barn was on the corner of Cheapside, on the south side of Tithebarn street. The main structure and oak roof could still be seen up to the late 1900s.
|Tithebarn Street looking south westward 1915, note the sheep|
CHURCH STREET takes its name from St. Peter’s, which was consecrated in l704. It was the first building erected in that area until the mid 18th century. In l830 the church was endowed with 10 bells. It was demolished in l923, to be replaced by a department store.
|St Peters Church Street|
BOLD STREET, which was originally a rope walk, was named after Jonah Bold whose family were landowners.
SEEL STREET. Thomas Seel gave his name to the thoroughfare which runs up from Hanover Street. It was laid out in l790. A catholic church was built there in l792.
|1960. Seel Street and Colquitt Street, Liverpool|
DUKE STREET is thought to mark the victories of the Duke of Cumberland, especially the Battle of Culloden.
Corner of Duke Street - supposed residence of Maggie May. Image
courtesy of Liverpool Record Office and Liverpool Libraries.
WILLIAM BROWN STREET, The making of pottery was centred on Shaw’s Brow (now William Brown Street), by Samuel Shaw.
|William Brown Street 1905|
COPPERAS Hill Copperas was the old name for Copper Sulphate, which was produced at works owned by the Hughes family - hence, Copperas Hill.
|These women are sitting outside the Copperas Hill Offices of the Child Welfare Association 1925|
RODNEY STREET was named after Admiral Rodney, to mark his victory over the French fleet in l782.
|The birthplace of William Gladstone at 62 Rodney Street, Liverpool 15th May 1902|
LIME KILNS which gave Lime Street its name were on the site of the present station. Fumes from the kilns were said to affect patients in the nearby infirmary, and in l804, the works were rebuilt, on Lime Kiln Lane.
|Lime Street 1891|
Robert F Edwards