"". Old Photographs of Liverpool Liverpool Picturebook Williamson Square Liverpool | Liverpool Picturebook Google

Search Liverpool Picturebook

Williamson Square Liverpool


Williamson Square Liverpool was originally laid out as a residential square in 1745. The Liverpool Playhouse stands on the north side of the square whilst the other sides are occupied by shops.  Formerly the North side was occupied by the Theatre Royal, which opened on 5th June 1772 and was demolished in 1965. 


The Theatre Royal 1772

The Theatre Royal in its later days as The Union Cold Storage depot

The Newspaper Kiosk in Williamson Square

 The Taxi Rank

 Union Cold Store

 Looking toward Houghton Street




The Square at one time hosted the famous Professor Codman Punch and Judy show, which moved from its original home in Lime street 

Professor Codmans Punch and Judy Show


The square has for many years been a meeting point or somewhere to sit and watch the  world go by, it is also home to the Playhouse Theatre designed by Edward Davies, which is still going strong and began its life in 1866 as a music hall and in 1911 developed into a repetory theatre.  In 1968 a modern style extension was added to the north side of the theatre and that remains today.

 Playhouse Theatre
Playhouse Theatre extension


Williamson Square 1980

The square has now been totally refurbished and currently has a fountain that has 20 jets that rise to a height of four meters



Links


http://www.old-liverpool.co.uk/theatres.html
Pin It